
Old Pontchartrain Beach Posters For Sale Here
http://www.zazzle.com/figstreetstudio/pontchartrain+gifts
A Folk Song
The Lakes of Pontchartrain
Barry Taylor
Information Lyrics
According to
Ready for the Storm,
the album by Deanta,
this is a "traditional Creole
love song, which
is commonly mistaken
as being of Irish origin."
It is recorded also on
the Planxty album,
Cold Blow the Rainy Night.
(Shanachie 79011, 1989)
The information from
that album states that
the tune was probably
brought back from British and
French soldiers fighting in
Louisiana and Canada in
the War of 1812.
The alternate verse
is from the Digital
Tradition Folk Song Search
Another version of the lyrics
The Lily of the West
was recorded by
Peter Paul and Mary.
The Golden Encyclopedia of Folk Music
states it was an
"English street ballad
(broadside ballad)" about
100 years ago.
Lake Pontchartrain T-Shirts Sold Here-
http://www.zazzle.com/figstreetstudio/pontchartrain+shirts

Alternative Words To Lakes Of Pontchartrain Folk Song
. 'Twas on one bright March morning I bid New Orleans adieu.
And I took the road to Jackson town, my fortune to renew,
I cursed all foreign money, no credit could I gain, Which filled my heart with longing for the lakes of Pontchartrain.
I stepped on board a railroad car, beneath the morning sun,
I road the roads till evening, and I laid me down again,
All strangers there no friends to me, till a dark girl towards me came,
And I fell in love with a Creole girl, by the lakes of Pontchartrain.
I said, "My pretty Creole girl, my money here's no good,
But if it weren't for the alligators, I'd sleep out in the wood".
"You're welcome here kind stranger, our house is very plain.
But we never turn a stranger out, From the lakes of Pontchartrain."
She took me into her mammy's house, and treated me quite well,
The hair upon her shoulder in jet black ringlets fell.
To try and paint her beauty, I'm sure 'twould be in vain,
So handsome was my Creole girl, By the lakes of Pontchartrain.
I asked her if she'd marry me,she said it could never be,
For she had got another, and he was far at sea.
She said that she would wait for him and true she would remain.
Till he returned for his Creole girl, By the lakes of Pontchartrain.
So fare thee well my Creole girl, I never will see you no more,
But I'll ne'er forget your kindness in the cottage by the shore.
And at each social gathering a flowing glass I'll raise,
And I'll drink a health to my Creole girl, And the lakes of Pontchartrain.
Alternate first verse (from Ellen Stekert)
Over swamps of alligators, I made my weary way
Over ties on railroad crossings, my weary feet did play.
Till at length towards shades of evening, that higher land I'd gain
It was there I met with a Creole girl on the Lakes of Ponchartrain.
Lyrics From Ready for the Storm by Deanta Green Linnet Records, 1994 Look up the Lyrics at link. Lyrics Search

Thanks to the Folk Song Pages for allowing use of this material.
FOLK SONGS
Pontchartrain Beach Prints sold here- http://www.zazzle.com/figstreetstudio/pontchartrain+posters
Vintage style art created at Fig Street Studios, New Orleans La. of old New Orleans sceneslike Pontchartrain Beach. From Alligators to Zoo animals places and things from the Old South and New Orleans. Art prints, note cards, gifts with nostalgic art from the Old South recreated by using current computer technology. Click on an image to view that product. If you see an image you like but not on a product you want e-mail us at Fig Street Studios. Images can be placed on cards, tiles, shirts, posters, or coffee mugs. Just ask, jerryschwehm@yahoo.com .
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


No comments:
Post a Comment
omments Are Moderated, no SPAM.